Rehabilitating, repairing and restoring against demolishing, tearing down and destroying: the recovery of the military fort for the Santa Pola town museum

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10045/56441
Información del item - Informació de l'item - Item information
Title: Rehabilitating, repairing and restoring against demolishing, tearing down and destroying: the recovery of the military fort for the Santa Pola town museum
Authors: Martínez-Medina, Andrés | Juan Gutiérrez, Pablo Jeremías
Research Group/s: Metrópoli, Arquitectura y su Patrimonio (MAP)
Center, Department or Service: Universidad de Alicante. Departamento de Expresión Gráfica y Cartografía
Keywords: Renaissance fortresses | Military architecture | Heritage rehabilitation | Santa Pola museum
Knowledge Area: Composición Arquitectónica | Expresión Gráfica Arquitectónica
Issue Date: 2016
Publisher: WIT Press
Citation: WIT Transactions on The Built Environment. 2016, 158: 25-37. doi:10.2495/DSHF160031
Abstract: This communication develops the process of interventions of the Renaissance fortress of a new plant built in 1554–57 in Santa Pola. It is one of the earliest examples built with reference to military architecture theoretical treaties (XV–XVI) and best preserved. The study runs its own story from its initial military use, through the use of civil equipment until the final cultural and Museum Center. First, the project of Italian origin is examined and its use as barracks for troops for a duration of three centuries (1557–1850), pointing out the architectural constants of war machinery in a defense position and its origin as a rainwater collector and cistern: a perfect square with two bastions in which a plan of the uprising is preserved (1778). Secondly, we study the changes in the mentioned architecture throughout a century and a half (1850–1990) after its change of ownership (from the state to the municipality), and as a result of the new use as a city hall and public endowment: a market and health and leisure centre, which meant the demolition of defensive elements and the opening up to the outside of the inner parade ground. And thirdly, the new transfer of the municipal offices brings in the beginning of a project of transformations (1990–2015) that retrieves the demolished elements at the same time as it assigns the entire fort for a cultural centre: exhibition, research and history museum, promoting the identity between the citizens and the building which stands in the foundations of their city. The conclusions take us through an interesting route that goes from the approach of defensive tactics, its use as administrative headquarters to the current cultural policy of preservation. In addition, all the known plans of the fort are recovered (of military, civil and cultural use), some unpublished, as well as the project of the North wing that has guided the last operation and which has been set as a pattern of reference.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10045/56441
ISSN: 1746-4498 (Print) | 1743-3509 (Online)
DOI: 10.2495/DSHF160031
Language: eng
Type: info:eu-repo/semantics/article
Rights: © 2016 WIT Press
Peer Review: si
Publisher version: http://dx.doi.org/10.2495/DSHF160031
Appears in Collections:INV - MAP - Artículos de Revistas
INV - PenGraNA - Artículos de Revistas

Files in This Item:
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Thumbnail2016_Martinez_Juan_DSHF.pdf2,33 MBAdobe PDFOpen Preview


Items in RUA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.